Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

Please don't think this is the rant of a bitter, old shut-in. Today is my birthday (July 29) and since I worked on Sunday, I took today off as comp time. My friend Susan and her husband Bill arrived a couple of weeks ago at their get away place in Key Largo. I contacted her about coming for a birthday lunch and she said yes. When I lived in Athens, Susan was always gone for the summer so this has been the first opportunity to celebrate my birthday with her since I've known her.

Susan warned us that with today and tomorrow being the 'lobster mini season' that traffic might be heavy. We got an early start but the lobster enthusiasts must have gotten an earlier start. We arrived in under an hour even with stops to get gas and some sundries at the drugstore. Don brought his trunks and hit the water (their place has its own beachfront) while Susan and I caught up and her husband finished his shower. We had a short drive down the road to an oceanside restaurant. Don had the most interesting item from the menu: tuna nachos! This was an Asian seasoned reworking of marinated raw tuna served on won ton chips. He generously shared a few bites and it was delicious. Nonetheless I was still content with my chilled shrimp and coleslaw. Susan had birthday cake waiting for me at her house with some strong coffee. We'll probably make a return visit next week when her grandchildren Henry and Beatrix arrive.

We made a quick trip to the Wild Bird Rescue Center before it started raining. There's nothing like walking around among pelicans, herons, egrets, cranes, and various other feathered friends. They also appear to live in peace with a few cats on the property. We got back to the car just as the light sprinkles turned into a real downpour.

We thought about making a few other visits on US1 but the rain made going home the more desirable option. We jumped on the turnpike and got back to Kendrall Breeze West. My sister Janet left a message on the answering machine wishing me a happy birthday. She mentioned my mother wasn't feeling well yesterday which may account for why I didn't get the usual 6:30am birthday phone call from her this morning. I may need to call her soon.

I've read the mail, checked my e-mail and now wait for 'Jeopardy.' Here's the one lament I have as another birthday goes by. I don't mind getting older. However, in January 2008 I qualified as a potential 'Jeopardy' contestant during their talent search in Miami. They cautioned us that they collect more contestants than they need and we would go into the contestant file for 18 months. Do the math. The approach of August means my little contestant card goes into the circular file cabinet or whatever they do to purge the list.

Sigh, no meeting Alec Trebeck, no dazzling anyone with a daring 'Double Jeopardy,' no ringing in on the buzzer, or swooping in to answer a question miffed by one of my rivals. I guess somethings aren't meant to be.

1 comment:

  1. happy birthday! my panda fanatic roommate got a Morn Creations bag as birthday gift.
    she is just thrilled with it!
    hkpanda.freetzi.com
    Flor (floreshayes@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete